DESCRIPTION: Bridge Superstructure Replacement
- CLASSIFICATION: Urban Core Neighborhood Collector
- LIMITS: Span over Norfolk Southern Railroad and MLK East Busway
- LENGTH: Structure Length is 117′
- WIDTH: 36′-0 Curb to Curb, 60′ full width
- LOCATION: The bridge links Shadyside and East Liberty – carries South Highland Avenue over Ellsworth Ave (See Map).
SCOPE OF WORK:
The bridge’s stone abutments and center pier which date back to 1875, were rehabilitated and are being reused. The existing through girders were removed and replaced with a new deck that eliminates the through girders, improves the vertical clearance over Ellsworth Avenue, and provides a more open vista for pedestrians and vehicular traffic crossing the bridge. Pedestrian and vehicular traffic was rerouted via posted detours for the full duration of the work.
STATUS: Construction Complete.
SCHEDULE – CONSTRUCTION PERIOD:
March 4, 2013 – Close Bridge / Implement Detours.
September 10, 2013 – Re-open to Traffic.
September 13, 2013 – Complete Construction.
CITY PROJECT MANAGER – Chuck McClain, P.E. Charles.McClain@pittsburghpa.gov
DESIGN CONSULTANT – PB Americas, Inc.
CONSTRUCTION CONTRACTOR – Trumbull Corporation
INSPECTOR IN CHARGE – McTish, Kunkel, and Associates