DESCRIPTION: Bridge Superstructure Replacement
- CLASSIFICATION: Urban Core Neighborhood Collector
- LIMITS: Span over Norfolk Southern Railroad and MLK East Busway
- LENGTH: Structure Length is 117′
- WIDTH: 36′-0 Curb to Curb, 60′ full width
- LOCATION: The bridge links Shadyside and East Liberty – carries South Highland Avenue over Ellsworth Ave (See Map).
SCOPE OF WORK:
The bridge’s stone abutments and center pier which date back to 1875, are being rehabilitated and reused. The existing through girders are being removed and replaced with a new deck that eliminates the through girders, improves the vertical clearance over Ellsworth Avenue, and provides a more open vista for pedestrians and vehicular traffic crossing the bridge. Pedestrian and vehicular traffic will be rerouted via posted detours for the full duration of the work.
STATUS: Under Construction.
Advertise to Bidders: May 24, 2012
Let Date (Open Bids): June 21, 2012
Award Contract: September 13, 2012
Issue Notice to Proceed: September 14, 2012
Prepare/Approve Shop Drawings: September 2012 – March 2013
Close Bridge / Implement Detours: March 4, 2013
Re-open to Traffic: September 10, 2013
Complete Construction: September 13, 2013
CITY PROJECT MANAGER – Chuck McClain, P.E. Charles.McClain@pittsburghpa.gov
DESIGN CONSULTANT – PB Americas, Inc.
CONSTRUCTION CONTRACTOR – Trumbull Corporation
INSPECTOR IN CHARGE - McTish, Kunkel, and Associates